- Charles,1737–1832, American patriot and legislator.
- Lewis, pen name of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.
- Also Car·rol. a male or female given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for carroll
Carroll noted that the vehicle had a Pennsylvania plate, DJV5220, registered to Michael and Deborah Frein.Manhunt for a Cop-Hating Pennsylvania ‘Survivalist’
September 17, 2014
Carroll is one of the members of the legislative committee investigating Christie.Dems Troll Christie on Bridgegate
September 7, 2014
Carroll was kinder, shrugging that “you can only take a person at his word.”Chris Christie’s Faking It on Gun Rights
July 10, 2014
“I think it will add to the appeal for a lot of women,” Carroll said.
Carroll added that the exception is moderate Republican women who have a track record with policies to advance women.
You were all that a young Englishman of good family and fortune should be; and so, Sir Carroll——'Against Odds
Lawrence L. Lynch
There was not much doubt as to what Mrs. Carroll was wondering.
The bedrooms, all but Mr. and Mrs. Carroll's, were very tiny.
Mr. Carroll was only too happy to be able to do something in return.
"Got to do it," he said, in answer to Carroll's reproachful look.An American Suffragette
Isaac N. Stevens
- Lewis. real name the Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. 1832–98, English writer; an Oxford mathematics don who wrote Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865) and Through the Looking-Glass (1872) and the nonsense poem The Hunting of the Snark (1876)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- British-born American physician noted for his research on yellow fever. In 1900 he deliberately infected himself with the disease for experimental purposes.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.