- money in the form of coins or banknotes, especially that issued by a government.
- money or an equivalent, as a check, paid at the time of making a purchase.
- to give or obtain cash for (a check, money order, etc.).
- to win (a trick) by leading an assured winner.
- to lead (an assured winner) in order to win a trick: He cashed his ace and led the queen.
- cash in,
- to turn in and get cash for (one's chips), as in a gambling casino.
- to end or withdraw from a business agreement; convert one's assets into cash.
- Slang.to die: After her parents cashed in, she lived with her grandmother.
- cash in on, to profit from; use to one's advantage: swindlers who cash in on the credulity of the public.
- cash in one's chips, Slang. to die.
Origin of cash1
Related Words for cashingrefund, buck, supply, payment, note, currency, security, reserve, investment, stock, liquidate, redeem, realize, acknowledge, wherewithal, coin, pledge, principal, funds, treasure
Examples from the Web for cashing
Contemporary Examples of cashing
Ask anyone who is cashing checks earned by Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, or Tupac if you have any doubts about that.Lana Del Rey’s Silly Death Wish and the Perils of Pop Artifice
June 24, 2014
Celine Dion is cashing out of the mansion market, listing two of her trophy properties for a total of more than $100 million.Celine Dion Selling $100 Million Worth of Mansions
August 26, 2013
This year McConnell has been cashing in his stock in the company.Booz Allen Vice Chairman McConnell, Former Government Official, Nets $1.8 Million on Stock Sales
June 11, 2013
He has been careful to keep a low profile and has not faced the same accusations of cashing in on his royal connections as Pippa.James Middleton: I Am Not Gay, And My Company is Doing Nicely
March 11, 2013
The so-called U.S. Government has been cashing in on you since the day you were born, somehow.Sovereign Citizens Are a Sometimes Violent Fringe Group Rejecting All Government
December 30, 2012
Historical Examples of cashing
You talked me out of the silly idea I had about cashing in on the man with two hearts.Ten From Infinity
Paul W. Fairman
I took that merely because it was my only way of cashing a check.The Four Pools Mystery
Before two months there will be no cashing a bill in all Paris.
The notion of "cashing in" says nothing about the breadth or depth of the specific consequences.Creative Intelligence
John Dewey, Addison W. Moore, Harold Chapman Brown, George H. Mead, Boyd H. Bode, Henry Waldgrave, Stuart James, Hayden Tufts, Horace M. Kallen
Besides, he was to have five shillings extra for cashing my advance note.The Story of a Strange Career
- banknotes and coins, esp in hand or readily available; money or ready money
- immediate payment, in full or part, for goods or services (esp in the phrase cash down)
- (modifier) of, for, or paid by casha cash transaction
- the cash Canadian a checkout counter
- (tr) to obtain or pay ready money forto cash a cheque
Word Origin for cash
- any of various Chinese, Indonesian, or Indian coins of low value
Word Origin for cash
- Johnny. 1932–2003, US country-and-western singer, guitarist, and songwriter. His recordings include the hits "I Walk the Line" (1956), "Ring of Fire" (1963), "A Boy named Sue" (1969), and the American Recordings series of albums (1994–2003)
Word Origin and History for cashing
"to convert to cash" (as a check, etc.), 1811, from cash (n.). Related: Cashed; cashing.
1590s, "money box;" also "money in hand, coin," from Middle French caisse "money box" (16c.), from Provençal caissa or Italian cassa, from Latin capsa "box" (see case (n.2)); originally the money box, but the secondary sense of the money in it became sole meaning 18c. Cash crop is attested from 1831; cash flow from 1954; the mechanical cash register from 1878.
Like many financial terms in English (bankrupt, etc.), ultimately from Italian. Not related to (but influencing the form of) the colonial British cash "Indian monetary system, Chinese coin, etc.," which is from Tamil kasu, Sanskrit karsha, Sinhalese kasi.
Idioms and Phrases with cashing
In addition to the idioms beginning with cash
- cash cow
- cash in
- cash on the barrelhead
- cold cash