- a shipwrecked person.
- anything cast adrift or thrown away.
- an outcast.
- cast adrift.
- thrown away.
Origin of castaway
Synonyms for castawaySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for castawayreprobate, renegade, outlaw, waif, maroon, pariah, outcast, derelict, leper, shipwreck
Examples from the Web for castaway
Historical Examples of castaway
The castaway killed it with an oar; but after that who would have slept?Bonaventure
George Washington Cable
We could no more leave it, than the castaway sailor could leave his desert island.The Desert Home
The saturnalia that succeeded the capture of the castaway had come to a close.The Boy Slaves
"I am no castaway, aunt Charlotte," said Linda, rising to her feet.
They had told her that she was a castaway, and she had half believed it.
- a person who has been shipwrecked
- something thrown off or away; castoff
- shipwrecked or put adrift
- thrown away or rejected
- (tr, adverb; often passive) to cause (a ship, person, etc) to be shipwrecked or abandoned