- Also catch-can. taking advantage of any opportunity; using any method that can be applied: a catch-as-catch-can life, as an itinerant handyman.
- without specific plan or order: They lived catch-as-catch-can.
- a style of wrestling in which the contestants are permitted to trip, tackle, and use holds below the waist.Compare Greco-Roman(def 3).
Origin of catch-as-catch-can
- a style of wrestling in which trips, holds below the waist, etc, are allowed
- mainly US and Canadian using any method or opportunity that comes to hand
A phrase that describes a situation in which people must improvise or do what they can with limited means: “We don't have enough textbooks for all of the students, so it'll be catch-as-catch-can.”
Idioms and Phrases with catch as catch can
catch as catch can
By whatever means or in any way possible, as in There was no formal language program; one simply learned Spanish catch as catch can. This term, in slightly varying versions but with the same meaning, dates from the late 1300s.