- Also catch-can. taking advantage of any opportunity; using any method that can be applied: a catch-as-catch-can life, as an itinerant handyman.
- without specific plan or order: They lived catch-as-catch-can.
- a style of wrestling in which the contestants are permitted to trip, tackle, and use holds below the waist.Compare Greco-Roman(def 3).
Origin of catch-as-catch-can
First recorded in 1885–90
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for catch-as-catch-can
It was catch-as-catch-can in the darkness, and mostly the other fellow could and did.
Anyhow, drawled the man from Catch-as-Catch-Can, she wont go no more.Every Man for Himself
Swords, pistols, fists, catch-as-catch-can—what would you like?Second Plays
A. A. Milne
Still, they all fight alike—rough and tumble, catch-as-catch-can.Cappy Ricks
Peter B. Kyne
Are you going to have a waltz, or is it going to be a two-step, or a catch-as-catch-can wrestling match?Ted Strong in Montana
Edward C. Taylor
- a style of wrestling in which trips, holds below the waist, etc, are allowed
- mainly US and Canadian using any method or opportunity that comes to hand
A phrase that describes a situation in which people must improvise or do what they can with limited means: “We don't have enough textbooks for all of the students, so it'll be catch-as-catch-can.”
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.