- a flow of electrons emanating from a cathode in a vacuum tube and focused into a narrow beam.
Origin of cathode ray
First recorded in 1875–80
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for cathode raysradioactivity, radiograph, actinism, encephalogram, fluoroscope, refractometry
- a stream of electrons emitted from the surface of a cathode in a valve
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A stream of electrons emitted by the cathode in electrical discharge tubes.
- One of the electrons that is emitted in a stream from a cathode-ray tube.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A beam of electrons streaming from the negatively charged end of a vacuum tube (the cathode) toward a positively charged plate (the anode).
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.