- containing or impregnated with salts of iron, as a mineral spring or medicine.
- a chalybeate water, medicine, or the like.
Origin of chalybeate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for chalybeate
Superstition has its season as well as sulphur-baths and chalybeate springs.In the Heart of Vosges
Hampstead was quite a health resort, with chalybeate springs.The Tatler, Volume Two
I came here with Eliza to get her some of this chalybeate water.Old Kensington
I took a sip, and found it of the flavour of chalybeate springs.The King of Schnorrers
Twenty-one years of Chalybeate (a groan from the back of the room).The Passionate Elopement
- containing or impregnated with iron salts
- any drug containing or tasting of iron
C17: from New Latin chalybēātus, ultimately from khalups iron
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Impregnated with or containing iron salts.