[kair-uh n, kar-]
- Classical Mythology. the ferryman who conveyed the souls of the dead across the Styx.
- (usually used ironically) any ferryman.
- Astronomy. the natural satellite of Pluto, discovered in 1978.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Greek myth the ferryman who brought the dead across the rivers Styx or Acheron to Hades
- the only known satellite of Pluto, discovered in 1978
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
ferryman of the dead over the river Styx, from Greek Kharon, of unknown origin.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The largest of Pluto's three moons. Charon is just over half Pluto's size and orbits it so closely that it was not discovered as a distinct body until 1978. Although Pluto is covered with methane ice, Charon appears to be covered with water ice.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.