- the part of a hookah that contains the tobacco, marijuana, or other substance being smoked.
- the substance that is smoked.
- a hookah or other water pipe adapted for smoking marijuana, that can be passed in ritual fashion among a group of participants: used especially by Rastafarians.
Origin of chillum
- a city in central Maryland, near Washington, D.C.
Examples from the Web for chillum
Historical Examples of chillum
Gie'em (give them) rice, peas, four cook for chillum, one nurse.Slave Narratives Vol. XIV. South Carolina, Part 2
Works Projects Administration
Chillum, chil′um, n. the part of a hookah containing the tobacco and charcoal balls: a hookah itself: the act of smoking it.
Masson describes a "chillum," or smoking apparatus, found embedded in an ancient wall in Beloochistan.
Thy servant was keeping watch over his masters, and smoking his chillum.Gil the Gunner
George Manville Fenn
My wife had been dead fur sebrel years, an' not habbin' any chillum I libed by myse'f in er cabin on er big plan'ation.Up Terrapin River
Opie P. Read
- a short pipe, usually of clay, used esp for smoking cannabis