- Anglican Church. a lay officer who looks after the secular affairs of the church, and who, in England, is the legal representative of the parish.
- Episcopal Church. a lay church officer who, with other members of the vestry, is in charge of the temporal management of the parish.
- a long-stemmed clay pipe for smoking.
Origin of churchwarden
Examples from the Web for churchwarden
Historical Examples of churchwarden
To me (I know how absurd it is) he looked like a churchwarden.The Shadow-Line
No, all was safe, but her excuse had not deceived the churchwarden.The Nebuly Coat
John Meade Falkner
The Churchwarden examined the map carefully, while the others all looked at him.
"Never knew my Odour of Sanctity to fail once," said the Churchwarden, coolly.
All the others sat around the Churchwarden, as close as they could huddle.
- Church of England Episcopal Church one of two assistants of a parish priest who administer the secular affairs of the church
- a long-stemmed tobacco pipe made of clay