- the shell of a clam.
- an object that has two hinged parts and that opens and closes like a clamshell, as a laptop computer or a box with a cover joined on one side: This clamshell is lightweight, convenient, and as powerful as my desktop computer.
- Also called clamshell bucket.a dredging bucket opening at the bottom, consisting of two similar pieces hinged together at the top.
- a machine equipped with such a bucket.
- Printing. a platen press.
- of or noting an object that opens and closes like a clamshell: a clamshell phone; clamshell packaging.
Origin of clamshell
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- mainly US a dredging bucket that is hinged like the shell of a clam
- an aircraft cockpit canopy hinged at the front and rear
- the hinged door of a cargo aircraft
- another name for eyelid (def. 2)
- any of a variety of objects hinged like the shell of a clam, such as a container for takeaway food, a portable computer, etc