- any Old World plant of the genus Colchicum, of the lily family, especially the autumn crocus, C. autumnale.
- the dried seeds or corms of this plant.
- Pharmacology. a medicine or drug prepared from them, used in medicine chiefly in the treatment of gout.
Origin of colchicum
Examples from the Web for colchicum
Historical Examples of colchicum
It might therefore be supposed that Colchicum too acted as a Cholagogue.The Action of Medicines in the System
Frederick William Headland
Some cause violent pain, as colchicum, hellebore, and aconite.The Swiss Family Robinson
Johann David Wyss
Colchicum says he has had him to dine, and thinks him a gentlemanlike lad.The History of Pendennis
William Makepeace Thackeray
A peculiar principle discovered by Gieger and Hesse in the seeds of the Colchicum autumnale or common meadow saffron.
A mixture of iodide of potassium, sulphate of magnesia, and wine of colchicum, disguised with an aromatic tincture.
- any Eurasian liliaceous plant of the genus Colchicum, such as the autumn crocus
- the dried seeds or corms of the autumn crocus: a source of colchicine