- the construction of an artificial opening from the colon through the abdominal wall, thus bypassing a diseased portion of the lower intestine and permitting the passage of intestinal contents.
- the opening so constructed.
Origin of colostomy
Examples from the Web for colostomy
Contemporary Examples of colostomy
And, thanks to a host of women posting photos of themselves with their colostomy bags, the condition is shedding its stigma.The Brave Colostomy Bag Selfies
July 2, 2014
But Castro nixed having a colostomy, perhaps out of pride, machismo, or hubris—or some combination of the three.The Day Castro Wept
A. L. Bardach
September 17, 2009
- the surgical formation of an opening from the colon onto the surface of the body, which functions as an anus
- Surgical construction of an artificial excretory opening from the colon.
- The opening created by such a surgical procedure.
- Surgical construction of an opening from the colon through the abdominal wall to the outside of the body for the purpose of excretion.