- to determine by calculation; reckon; calculate: to compute the period of Jupiter's revolution.
- to determine by using a computer or calculator.
- to reckon; calculate.
- to use a computer or calculator.
- Informal. to make sense; add up: His reasons for doing that just don't compute.
- computation: outer space that is vast beyond compute.
Origin of compute
Synonyms for computeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for computable
Historical Examples of computable
It likes big, unmistakable, knock-down effects; it likes to get its money back in palpable, computable change.Picture and Text
Here is an incident I never can forget;—dating twelve or thirteen years ago (as is computable), middle of July, 1732.History of Friedrich II. of Prussia, Vol. XV. (of XXI.)
C'est assez vous dire that I can make no plan for any social adventure within any computable time.The Letters of Henry James, Vol. II
The sum was not computable by any rule known to arithmetic, mathematics, or any cognate "science of numbers."
- to calculate (an answer, result, etc), often with the aid of a computer
- calculation; computation (esp in the phrase beyond compute)