- the act or art of constructing.
- the way in which a thing is constructed: a building of solid construction.
- something that is constructed; a structure.
- the occupation or industry of building: He works in construction.
- the arrangement of two or more forms in a grammatical unit. Constructions involving bound forms are often called morphological, as the bound forms fif- and -teen. Those involving only free forms are often called syntactic, as the good man, in the house.Compare bound form, free form.
- a word or phrase consisting of two or more forms arranged in a particular way.
- a group of words or morphemes for which there is a rule in some part of the grammar.
- explanation or interpretation, as of a law, a text, or an action.
Origin of construction
Synonyms for constructionSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for constructiondevelopment, manufacture, system, planning, plan, structure, figure, shape, invention, elevation, mold, contour, cut, fabric, turn, edifice, arrangement, build, type, composition
Examples from the Web for construction
Contemporary Examples of construction
The NOPD fired Knight in 1973 for stealing lumber from a construction site as an off-duty cop.The Louisiana Racists Who Courted Steve Scalise
January 3, 2015
By the end of the construction period, the number of deaths had reached roughly twenty percent of the workforce.Riding Thailand’s WWII Death Railway
December 21, 2014
Encompass Develop, Design Construct, LLC A Kentucky-based architect, design and construction service.
Tonn and Blank Construction An Indiana construction company.
The Bible explicitly and repeatedly calls for the construction of a system that protects and cares for these groups.Pope Bids Refugees to EU ‘Bienvenido’; Europe Says ‘Non’
November 30, 2014
Historical Examples of construction
The construction of the furnaces is of the ordinary French pattern.
His notes on special words and on the construction of sentences are often very interesting.Apu Ollantay
In its construction the principles of defilade have been completely ignored.The Story of the Malakand Field Force
Sir Winston S. Churchill
Identically the same thing is done in the construction of the flying machine.
Bamboo is used in the construction of the body frame, and also for the frame of the tail.
- the process or act of constructing or manner in which a thing is constructed
- the thing constructed; a structure
- the business or work of building dwellings, offices, etc
- (as modifier)a construction site
- an interpretation or explanation of a law, text, action, etcthey put a sympathetic construction on her behaviour
- grammar a group of words that together make up one of the constituents into which a sentence may be analysed; a phrase or clause
- geometry a drawing of a line, angle, or figure satisfying certain conditions, used in solving a problem or proving a theorem
- an abstract work of art in three dimensions or reliefSee also constructivism (def. 1)