- a modern movement for the protection of the consumer against useless, inferior, or dangerous products, misleading advertising, unfair pricing, etc.
- the concept that an ever-expanding consumption of goods is advantageous to the economy.
- the fact or practice of an increasing consumption of goods: a critic of American consumerism.
Origin of consumerism
Related Words for consumerismcommercialism, capitalism, business, industrialism, merchandising, trading
Examples from the Web for consumerism
Contemporary Examples of consumerism
There are still headwinds for these American icons of consumerism.Best Buy Punches Back at Amazon
December 27, 2014
How do you feel about the current relationship between art and consumerism?Tim Burton Talks ‘Big Eyes,’ His Taste For the Macabre, and the ‘Beetlejuice’ Sequel
December 17, 2014
A healthy sense of leisure … Consumerism has brought us anxiety, [causing us to lose a] healthy culture of leisure.Call Him ‘Poprah’: Pope Francis’s 10 Commandments for a Happy Life
July 31, 2014
There is a sense of consumerism but also, for a lack of a better word, taste—curation and arrangement.What the Hell Is ‘Twee’? A Genre? A Mindset? An Art Form?
June 23, 2014
We must make it known that we have had enough of consumerism tainted with misery and blood.The Fashion Victims of Bangladesh
May 8, 2014
- protection of the interests of consumers
- advocacy of a high rate of consumption and spending as a basis for a sound economy