- a party or entertainment featuring the cooking and eating of a meal out of doors.
- the process of cooking and eating a meal outdoors.
- a meal cooked and eaten in the open.
- of, relating to, or intended for use or consumption at a cookout.
Origin of cookout
1945–50, Americanism; noun use of verb phrase cook out
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for cookoutpicnic
Examples from the Web for cookout
Contemporary Examples of cookout
Here's what to bring, eat, and avoid at your next summer cookout.The 'Hungry Girl' Summer Diet
June 12, 2009
- US and Canadian a party where a meal is cooked and eaten out of doors
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for cookout
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper