- costing much; expensive; high in price: a costly emerald bracelet; costly medical care.
- resulting in great expense: The upkeep of such a large house is costly.
- resulting in great detriment: It was a costly mistake because no one ever trusted him again.
- of great value; very valuable; sumptuous.
- lavish; extravagant.
Origin of costly
Synonyms for costlySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for costliervaluable, pricey, catastrophic, ruinous, disastrous, dear, excessive, executive, exorbitant, extortionate, extravagant, fancy, high, high-priced, inordinate, precious, premium, steep, stiff, top
Examples from the Web for costlier
Contemporary Examples of costlier
As Bilmes reports, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are at least 25 percent costlier than previous projections.How the Wars Are Sinking the Economy
October 27, 2010
And on Friday, an Iowa ethanol producer said that the spill proves that oil production has become “costlier and riskier.”The Next Spill Victim: Your Car
May 9, 2010
Historical Examples of costlier
Costly costumes they would exchange for costumes that were costlier.The Paliser case
The costlier the offerings, the better would the feast be enjoyed.A Tour of the Missions
Augustus Hopkins Strong
Such a criticism applies only to the rarer and costlier desiderata.The Book-Collector
William Carew Hazlitt
Indeed that reserved for Madame was much the costlier of the two.Joyce's Investments
Fannie E. Newberry
Certainly it will be costlier than the greatest war that has ever devastated the world.The Plattner Story and Others
H. G. Wells
- of great price or value; expensive
- entailing great loss or sacrificea costly victory
- splendid; lavish