- costing much; expensive; high in price: a costly emerald bracelet; costly medical care.
- resulting in great expense: The upkeep of such a large house is costly.
- resulting in great detriment: It was a costly mistake because no one ever trusted him again.
- of great value; very valuable; sumptuous.
- lavish; extravagant.
Origin of costly
Synonyms for costlySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for costliness
Historical Examples of costliness
Here every object was estimated, not for its beauty or elegance, but by its costliness.Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10)
When costliness rather than beauty is the effect of flowers, the display is vulgar.The Etiquette of To-day
Edith B. Ordway
From its costliness, however, this is only desirable for small work.On Laboratory Arts
That other argument as to the costliness of old men to the state was for the present dropped.The Fixed Period
It reminds us of the costliness of much of our self-indulgence.George Muller of Bristol
Arthur T. Pierson
- of great price or value; expensive
- entailing great loss or sacrificea costly victory
- splendid; lavish