- Also sub·ver·sion·ar·y [suh b-vur-zhuh-ner-ee, -shuh-] /səbˈvɜr ʒəˌnɛr i, -ʃə-/. tending or intending to subvert or overthrow, destroy, or undermine an established or existing system, especially a legally constituted government or a set of beliefs.
- a person who adopts subversive principles or policies.
Origin of subversive
SynonymsSee more synonyms for subversive on Thesaurus.com
1. traitorous, treacherous, seditious, destructive.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- liable to subvert or overthrow a government, legally constituted institution, etc
- a person engaged in subversive activities, etc
Word Origin and History for countersubversive
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper