- a small, sour, wild apple.
- any of various small, tart, cultivated varieties of apple, used for making jelly and preserves.
- any tree bearing such fruit.
Origin of crab apple
Examples from the Web for crab apple
Historical Examples of crab apple
"Balm of marigolds, with the essential oil of crab-apple," said Martha.The Daltons, Volume II (of II)
Charles James Lever
Under the crab-apple tree she drew him down upon a bench beside her.Sally of Missouri
R. E. Young
He jumped in and was burnt, shrivelling up to the size of a crab-apple.
The Crabtree-worm can be taken by beating the branches of the crab-apple.
But the prime-minister was as sour about it all as a crab-apple.Twilight Land
- any of several rosaceous trees of the genus Malus that have white, pink, or red flowers and small sour apple-like fruits
- the fruit of any of these trees, used to make jam