verb (used without object)
- to sleep.
- to have a temporary place to sleep or live without payment: He let me crash at his house.
- to fall asleep: I get home in the evening and I just crash till it's time for dinner.
verb (used with object)
- to gain admittance to, even though uninvited: to crash a party.
- to enter without a ticket, permission, etc.: to crash the gate at a football game.
Origin of crash1
Related formscrash·er, noun
Examples from the Web for crashed
Searchers reported seeing a large shadow on the seabed, suggesting the crashed jet has been located.
He was the commander of the ship when it crashed and he admits his decision to take the ship off course.
Shortly before the Concordia crashed, Schettino can be heard on the audiotape telling the helmsman to turn again.
“It is, I think, almost as bad today as the day I crashed,” Holm says of the Congo.‘Argo’ in the Congo: The Ghosts of the Stanleyville Hostage Crisis|Nina Strochlic|November 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Pakistani troops even fought off militants attempting to reach the wreckage of drones that had crashed.Obama’s Deadly Informants: The Drone Spotters of Pakistan|Umar Farooq, Syed Fakhar Kakakhel|November 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
A shell had crashed into the house and exploded in the room above us.The Collected Works of Ambrose Bierce, Volume 8|Ambrose Bierce
There was silence until the outer door had crashed behind him.Find the Woman|Arthur Somers Roche
Odda's crashed upon and sank the first she met, and plunged and shook herself free from the wreck, and sought another.King Alfred's Viking|Charles W. Whistler
During a heavy gale a chimney-pot was hurled through the air, and crashed upon the pavement just in front of a pedestrian.Amusements in Mathematics|Henry Ernest Dudeney
An overhead sign was blown down and crashed through the window.Practical Instruction for Detectives|Emmerson W. Manning
British Dictionary definitions for crashed (1 of 2)
- requiring or using intensive effort and all possible resources in order to accomplish something quicklya crash programme
- sudden or vigorousa crash halt; a crash tackle