- a rounded projection or tooth, as on the margin of a leaf.
- Anatomy. (in erythrocytes) the state of being or becoming shrunken with a notched or indented edge.
- a notch between teeth.
Origin of crenation
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
crenature (ˈkrɛnəˌtjʊə, ˈkriː-)
- any of the rounded teeth or the notches between them on a crenate structure
- a crenate formation or condition
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The condition or state of being crenate.
- A process resulting from osmosis in which red blood cells, in a hypertonic solution, shrink and acquire a scalloped surface.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.