- a stem or stalk, especially the jointed and usually hollow stem of grasses.
- to grow or develop into a culm.
Origin of culm2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- coal-mine waste
- inferior anthracite
C14: probably related to coal
- the hollow jointed stem of a grass or sedge
C17: from Latin culmus stalk; see haulm
- a formation consisting mainly of shales and sandstone deposited during the Carboniferous period in parts of Europe
C19: from culm 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The stem of a grass or similar plant.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.