- the study of the microscopic appearance of cells, especially for the diagnosis of abnormalities and malignancies.
Origin of cytology
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cytologist
There are, however, certain facts familiar to the cytologist that furnish a clue as to how such an interchange might take place.Sex-linked Inheritance in Drosophila
Thomas Hunt Morgan
- the study of plant and animal cells, including their structure, function, and formation
- the detailed structure of a tissue, as revealed by microscopic examination
Word Origin and History for cytologist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A specialist in cytology.
- The branch of biology that deals with the formation, structure, and function of cells.
- The scientific study of the formation, structure, and function of cells.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.