- the study of the microscopic appearance of cells, especially for the diagnosis of abnormalities and malignancies.
Origin of cytology
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cytologist
Historical Examples of cytologist
There are, however, certain facts familiar to the cytologist that furnish a clue as to how such an interchange might take place.Sex-linked Inheritance in Drosophila
Thomas Hunt Morgan
- the study of plant and animal cells, including their structure, function, and formation
- the detailed structure of a tissue, as revealed by microscopic examination
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A specialist in cytology.
- The branch of biology that deals with the formation, structure, and function of cells.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The scientific study of the formation, structure, and function of cells.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.