- a device or material employed to deaden or render dull.
- a device or material preventing the transmission of sound.
- a woodland in which the trees are killed by girdling prior to being cleared.
Origin of deadening
- to make less sensitive, active, energetic, or forcible; weaken: to deaden sound; to deaden the senses; to deaden the force of a blow.
- to lessen the velocity of; retard: to deaden the headway of a ship.
- to make impervious to sound, as a floor.
- to become dead.
Origin of deaden
Synonyms for deadenSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for deadeningimpair, desensitize, abate, mute, reduce, smother, cushion, soften, hush, stupefy, check, weaken, paralyze, depress, deprive, slow, tire, injure, damp, repress
Examples from the Web for deadening
Contemporary Examples of deadening
Its recurring phrase is now the deadening, argument-stifling “As a mom,” cited frequently by Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd.Don’t Remember Barbara Walters for ‘The View’
April 8, 2014
Hired as a mechanic, he would soon find himself behind the wheel, yet “he found oval racing a deadening merry-go-round.”Must Reads: ‘How to Survive the Titanic,’ ‘The Limit,’ and More
Lucy Scholes, Kevin Canfield, Mythili Rao
December 20, 2011
Yes, many of those jobs are poorly paid and deadening, agreed and acknowledged.Economic News We’re Thankful For This Thanksgiving
November 24, 2011
Historical Examples of deadening
What was it about Martin, she wondered afresh, that had held her through all these deadening years?Dust
Mr. and Mrs. Haldeman-Julius
One of its legs caught Garnache on the sword arm, deadening it for a second.St. Martin's Summer
His ambitions were already sullied by many unworthy and deadening ideas.Robert Orange
John Oliver Hobbes
I remember now how deadening their look was, in their very lustre and moveless calm.Daisy
Deeper grew the deadening of his ears, and orientation was lost.Instinct
George Oliver Smith
- to make or become less sensitive, intense, lively, etc; damp or be damped down; dull
- (tr) to make acoustically less resonanthe deadened the room with heavy curtains