- that which is entered in an account as a debt; a recorded item of debt.
- any entry or the total shown on the debit side.
- the left-hand side of an account on which such entries are made (opposed to credit).
verb (used with object)
CAN YOU GUESS THESE WORDS FROM AROUND THE US?
Origin of debit
OTHER WORDS FROM debitpre·deb·it, noun, verb (used with object)re·deb·it, verb (used with object)un·deb·it·ed, adjective
Words nearby debit
Example sentences from the Web for debit
A new startup has created a miracle gadget that unites all your credit, debit and gift cards into a single card.
If you had the choice, would you rather use your debit card or your smartphone to access your account at an ATM?
Generally speaking, to buy stuff online, you need to have a bank account, a debit card, and credit cards.
She was paying for her lunch when her debit card got rejected in front of everybody.
The best rates come from your debit card, but be sure you have one with international perks like HSBC Premier.
"Debit and Credit" belongs to the same general period as the previous play, but has in it more of Nietzsche than of Poe.Plays by August Strindberg, Third Series|August Strindberg
A simple index system may be made use of for any debit or credit balances that may require to be kept.How Department Stores Are Carried On|W. B. Phillips
Of course the amount delivered to each bank is debit to that bank, just as the amount brought by each is credit to that bank.Principles of Political Economy|Arthur Latham Perry
On the debit side much might be added to what has already been said.The Inside Story Of The Peace Conference|Emile Joseph Dillon
Not the rather nebulous balance-sheet of his soul's gains and losses, but the debit account in hard cash.A Young Man's Year|Anthony Hope
British Dictionary definitions for debit
- acknowledgment of a sum owing by entry on the left side of an account
- the left side of an account
- an entry on this side
- the total of such entries
- (as modifier)a debit balance Compare credit (def. 10)
verb -its, -iting or -ited
- to record (an item) as a debit in an account
- to charge (a person or his account) with a debtCompare credit (def. 17)