[dee-kuh n-jes-tuh nt]Pharmacology
- of or relating to a substance that relieves mucus congestion of the upper respiratory tract.
- any such substance.
Origin of decongestant
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- relieving congestion, esp nasal congestion
- a decongestant drug
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A medication or treatment that breaks up congestion, as that of the sinuses, by reducing swelling.
- Capable of relieving congestion.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A medication that reduces congestion of the nose or sinuses, usually by causing vasoconstriction.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.