- an act or instance of combining into an integral whole.
- an act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group.
- an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.
- Mathematics. the operation of finding the integral of a function or equation, especially solving a differential equation.
- behavior, as of an individual, that is in harmony with the environment.
- Psychology. the organization of the constituent elements of the personality into a coordinated, harmonious whole.
- Genetics. coadaptation(def 2).
Origin of integration
SynonymsSee more synonyms for integration on Thesaurus.com
- the act of combining or adding parts to make a unified whole
- the act of amalgamating a racial or religious group with an existing community
- the combination of previously racially segregated social facilities into a nonsegregated system
- psychol organization into a unified pattern, esp of different aspects of the personality into a hierarchical system of functions
- the assimilation of nutritive material by the body during the process of anabolism
- maths an operation used in calculus in which the integral of a function or variable is determined; the inverse of differentiation
Word Origin and History for deintegration
1610s, from French intégration and directly from Latin integrationem (nominative integratio) "renewal, restoration," noun of action from past participle stem of integrare (see integrate). Anti-discrimination sense is recorded from 1940 in a S.African context.
- The state of combination or the process of combining into completeness and harmony.
- The organization of the psychological or social traits and tendencies of a personality into a harmonious whole.
- A physiological increase or building up, as by accretion or anabolism.
- A recombination event in which a genetic element is inserted.
- In calculus, the process of calculating an integral. Integration is the inverse of differentiation, since integrating a given function results in a function whose derivative is the given function. Integration is used in the calculation of such things as the areas and volumes of irregular shapes and solids. Compare differentiation.