- to deprive (a person or persons) of spirit, courage, discipline, etc.; destroy the morale of: The continuous barrage demoralized the infantry.
- to throw (a person) into disorder or confusion; bewilder: We were so demoralized by that one wrong turn that we were lost for hours.
- to corrupt or undermine the morals of.
Origin of demoralize
Related Words for demoralizingdistressing, disappointing, unsettling, discouraging, depressing, upsetting, dispiriting
Examples from the Web for demoralizing
Contemporary Examples of demoralizing
Rather, human trafficking, like slavery in the past, is a way of demoralizing the conquered.ISIS, Boko Haram, and the Growing Role of Human Trafficking in 21st Century Terrorism
Louise I. Shelley
December 26, 2014
If I may say so, you need to get past this issue that is sapping your energy and demoralizing your followers.Do LGBTs Owe Christians an Olive Branch? Try The Other Way Around
December 14, 2014
The results of such widespread lack of curiosity or interest in knowledge are as demoralizing as they are predictable.Richard Hofstadter and America’s New Wave of Anti-Intellectualism
March 9, 2014
They were counting on the scandal to motivate conservatives to vote while demoralizing liberals.Scandals Do Not a Party Platform Make
May 23, 2013
Now, the Republicans are compromising and demoralizing their base.On the Fiscal Cliff, Republicans Got Nothin’
December 2, 2012
Historical Examples of demoralizing
The Republic is not the demoralizing force some would have it believed.The Roof of France
However, the Anthonys were free from all demoralizing influences.Chance
It is terrible to see how demoralizing our contact is to all sorts and conditions of men.The Soul of a People
That was not demoralizing to the Afghans, who have not European nerves.Soldiers Three, Part II.
It is demoralizing,—it is to abandon the pride of conscious rectitude.Two Days' Solitary Imprisonment
- to undermine the morale of; disheartenhe was demoralized by his defeat
- to debase morally; corrupt
- to throw into confusion