- intended for instruction; instructive: didactic poetry.
- inclined to teach or lecture others too much: a boring, didactic speaker.
- teaching or intending to teach a moral lesson.
- didactics, (used with a singular verb) the art or science of teaching.
Origin of didactic
Synonyms for didacticSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for didacticacademic, advisory, expository, homiletic, instructive, moral, moralizing, pedagogic, pedantic, preachy, edifying, enlightening, donnish, exhortative, hortative, preceptive, sermonic, teacherly
Examples from the Web for didactic
Contemporary Examples of didactic
So she has chosen the path as her literary heroes, Charles Dickens and George Orwell: the entertaining but didactic novel.Join Caitlin Moran’s Riotous Feminist Revolution
September 29, 2014
Didactic teaching has come at the expense of play, which some say is no longer tolerated even for the youngest of students.Let Preschoolers Play!
Joyce C. Tang
April 5, 2011
Historical Examples of didactic
However, I give you leave to be as dogmatic and didactic as you like in return.The Stark Munro Letters
J. Stark Munro
Ethic on its didactic side is outside his business altogether.Introduction to the Study of History
Charles V. Langlois
His genius should be less epic and didactic, than lyrical and popular.
When she performs in that way with her hands, you may swear she is didactic.'Lord Kilgobbin
Since the Puritans a didactic strain has continually appeared in our writers.The Legacy of Greece
- intended to instruct, esp excessively
- morally instructive; improving
- (of works of art or literature) containing a political or moral message to which aesthetic considerations are subordinated
Word Origin for didactic
1650s, from French didactique, from Greek didaktikos "apt at teaching," from didaktos "taught," past participle of didaskein "teach," from PIE root *dens- "wisdom, to teach, learn." Related: Didactically; didacticism.
- Of or relating to medical teaching by lectures or textbooks as distinguished from clinical demonstration with patients.