- the condition of being dingy.
- Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used to refer to a black person.
Origin of dinge
First recorded in 1840–50; back formation from dingy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Southern African informal a jocular word for something whose name is unknown or forgotten; thingumabob
from Afrikaans, from ding thing
C19: back formation from dingy
- a Black person
- of or relating to Black people
- to make a dent in (something)
- a dent
of unknown origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012