- (of a topology or topological space) having the property that every subset is an open set.
- defined only for an isolated set of points: a discrete variable.
- using only arithmetic and algebra; not involving calculus: discrete methods.
Origin of discrete
Synonyms for discrete
Examples from the Web for discretely
Contemporary Examples of discretely
They hear the happy talk and they shake their heads or roll their eyes (discretely) and wonder what these people are smoking.Tri-Polar Zionists
March 5, 2013
Historical Examples of discretely
If science is discretely silent about these things, what can the more venturesome and less responsible imagination suggest?Curiosities of the Sky
- (of a variable) having consecutive values that are not infinitesimally close, so that its analysis requires summation rather than integration
- (of a distribution) relating to a discrete variableCompare continuous (def. 4)
Word Origin for discrete
late 14c., see discreet. Related: Discretely.