- the divine ordering of the affairs of the world.
- an appointment, arrangement, or favor, as by God.
- a divinely appointed order or age: the old Mosaic, or Jewish, dispensation; the new gospel, or Christian, dispensation.
- a relaxation of law in a particular case granted by a competent superior or the superior's delegate in laws that the superior has the power to make and enforce: a dispensation regarding the Lenten fast.
- an official document authorizing such a relaxation of law.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THESE WORDS FROM BROWN GIRL DREAMING!
Origin of dispensation
OTHER WORDS FROM dispensationdis·pen·sa·tion·al, adjectivedis·pen·sa·to·ri·ly [dih-spen-suh-tawr-uh-lee, -tohr-], /dɪˈspɛn səˌtɔr ə li, -ˌtoʊr-/, adverbnon·dis·pen·sa·tion, nounnon·dis·pen·sa·tion·al, adjective
Words nearby dispensation
Example sentences from the Web for dispensation
Our narrator insists that such a dispensation was never on offer or agreed to in 1982 when the band came together.
In the Everlasting Covenant, provision was made for Covenanting under the last or present dispensation.The Ordinance of Covenanting|John Cunningham
He uses it as the rule which is to prevail in the dispensation of his bounty in all future times.Select Speeches of Daniel Webster|Daniel Webster
For another instance of dispensation and installation on the same day see Reg.Medieval English Nunneries c. 1275 to 1535|Eileen Edna Power
There were no children—a dispensation of sex conditions which had nothing to do with her, for she longed to have them.The Financier|Theodore Dreiser
With respect to the Christian dispensation, it was a libel to say that it countenanced such a traffic.The History of the Rise, Progress and Accomplishment of the|Thomas Clarkson
British Dictionary definitions for dispensation
- permission to dispense with an obligation of church law
- the document authorizing such permission
- the ordering of life and events by God
- a divine decree affecting an individual or group
- a religious system or code of prescriptions for life and conduct regarded as of divine origin