- a city in and the capital (since 1974) of Assam state, in NE India.
- a state in NE India. 30,285 sq. mi. (78,438 sq. km). Capital: Dispur.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (in Malaysia) tamarind as used in cooking. Assam ikan is a dish of fish cooked with tamarind
Word Origin for assam
from Malay asam sour
- a state of NE India, situated in the central Brahmaputra valley: tropical forest, with the heaviest rainfall in the world; produces large quantities of tea. Capital: Dispur. Pop: 26 638 407 (2001 est). Area: 78 438 sq km (30 673 sq miles)
- a high-quality black tea grown in the state of Assam
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012