- the membrane stretched upon a drum.
- the top part of a capstan.
- characteristic of a drumhead court-martial; carried out in summary fashion: a drumhead execution.
Origin of drumhead
Examples from the Web for drumhead
Historical Examples of drumhead
The veil is stretched like a drumhead from the stem to the margin of the cap.The Mushroom, Edible and Otherwise
M. E. Hard
How can you catch trout with everything frozen as tight as a drumhead?Left on the Labrador
A pea on a drumhead is a restful object in comparison with Watson on that ice-hill.Chatterbox, 1906
It sounded in the silence as if it were falling on a drumhead.
In the drumhead of a capstan, the holes receive the capstan-bars.The Sailor's Word-Book
William Henry Smyth
- music the part of a drum that is actually struck with a stick or the hand
- the head of a capstan, pierced with holes for the capstan bars
- another name for eardrum