- pertaining to twelfths or to the number 12.
- proceeding by twelves.
- one of a system of numbers based on the number 12.
- one of 12 equal parts.
Origin of duodecimal
Examples from the Web for duodecimal
Historical Examples of duodecimal
They learned to use both the decimal and the duodecimal systems (nowadays we use only the decimal system, which is a great pity).Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
And at the very first in Egypt, Chalda, and among the Turanian races generally, we find this duodecimal system firmly established.Human Origins
The fact is noted by Mr. Jayaram Moodaliar that the Kondh system of notation is duodecimal.Castes and Tribes of Southern India
But what a pity that we have not 12 fingers, with duodecimal fractions instead of decimals!A Budget of Paradoxes, Volume II (of II)
Augustus de Morgan
If possible, this is even more true here than in the case of the duodecimal system.Elements of Folk Psychology
- relating to twelve or twelfths
- a twelfth
- one of the numbers used in a duodecimal number system
Word Origin and History for duodecimal
1714, from Latin in duodecimo (see duodecimo).
- Relating to or based on the number 12; having 12 as the base. In the duodecimal number system, each digit represents a multiple of a power of 12 instead of 10. Thus the duodecimal number 24 represents (2 X 121) + (4 X 120), or 28.