- not performing normally, as an organ or structure of the body; malfunctioning.
- having a malfunctioning part or element: It is hard to get bills through a dysfunctional congress.
- behaving or acting outside social norms: All the siblings in their extremely dysfunctional family lost contact as adults.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- med (of an organ or part) not functioning normally
- (esp of a family) characterized by a breakdown of normal or beneficial relationships between members of the group
Word Origin and History for dysfunctionally
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper