or Earth Mother
- the earth conceived of as the female principle of fertility and the source of all life.
- a female spirit or deity serving as a symbol of life or fertility.
- a sensuous, maternal woman.
Origin of earth mother
Examples from the Web for earth-mother
Historical Examples of earth-mother
Demeter (from Ge-meter, earth-mother) was the daughter of Cronus and Rhea.Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome
Two were blue like the sky and two dun-red like the flesh of the Earth-mother.Myths and Legends of California and the Old Southwest
Katharine Berry Judson
The earth itself they designated Pachacamama, or 'Earth-Mother'.An Introduction to Mythology
Wishing for that whereby thou hast being, I shall go forth from here prayerfully upon the trails of my earth-mother.Zui Fetiches
Frank Hamilton Cushing
One of these names, Sirŏna, probably meant the long-lived one, and was applied to the earth-mother.Celtic Religion
- (in various mythologies)
- a female goddess considered as the source of fertility and life
- the earth personified
- informal a sensual or fecund woman
1904, folkloric spirit of the earth, conceived as sensual, maternal; a translation of German erdmutter.