- the parts of Asia collectively lying east of Europe and including Asia Minor, Syria, Arabia, India, China, etc.
- East Asia.
- (formerly) the Soviet Union and its allies.
- the part of the U.S. east of the Mississippi River.
- the part of the U.S. east of the Allegheny Mountains.
- New England.
- Ancient and Medieval History. the Eastern Roman Empire.
Origin of east
OTHER WORDS FROM easteastness, noun
Other definitions for east (2 of 2)
How to use east in a sentence
According to Pew, 14 of the 20 countries in the Middle East and North Africa have blasphemy laws.In Defense of Blasphemy|Michael Tomasky|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
“Please, please do not permit this to happen here in Florida,” wrote Cris K. Smith of East Polk County.Jeb Bush’s Unseen Anti-Gay Marriage Emails|Jackie Kucinich|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
They took cover inside a print works to the north east of Paris, where they held a member of staff as a hostage.France Kills Charlie Hebdo Murderers|Nico Hines|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Sales are best in Asia, London, the Middle East, and Russia.Handbags: The More You Pay, The Smaller They Shrink|Elizabeth Landers|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Eventually, DeCrow and Seidenberg filed suit against the East Village mainstay.The Bars That Made America Great|Nina Strochlic|December 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Descending the Alps to the east or south into Piedmont, a new world lies around and before you.
The east window in this church has been classed as the A1 of modern painted windows.Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham|Thomas T. Harman and Walter Showell
The cantonment was split into two sections by an irregular ravine, or nullah, running east and west.The Red Year|Louis Tracy
Of course, my first row was a long one, quite through the city from west to east, including innumerable turnings and windings.
Turn we our backs to the cold gloomy north, to the wet windy west, to the dry parching east—on to the south!
British Dictionary definitions for east (1 of 2)
Word Origin for east
British Dictionary definitions for east (2 of 2)
- the area north of the Ohio and east of the Mississippi
- the area north of Maryland and east of the Alleghenies
- of or denoting the eastern part of a specified country, area, etc
- (as part of a name)East Sussex