[mid-l-uh v-th uh-rohd]
- favoring, following, or characterized by an intermediate position between two extremes, especially in politics; moderate.
- of, relating to, or describing a type of popular music that avoids extremes of style and is catchy and tuneful enough to have broad appeal.
- Also called easy listening. popular music having comparatively conventional, melodic qualities and hence having broad commercial appeal.
Origin of middle-of-the-road
An Americanism dating back to 1890–95
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- not extreme, esp in political views; moderate
- of, denoting, or relating to popular music having a wide general appeal