- electronic funds transfer system.
- a newt, especially the eastern newt, Notophthalmus viridescens (red eft), in its immature terrestrial stage.
- Obsolete. a lizard.
Origin of eft1
before 1000; Middle English evet(e), Old English efete; cf. newt
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for efts
Three little effets (efts) ran into one hole on the bank yesterday.Field and Hedgerow
Closely related to the frogs and toads are the efts so common in our ponds.
The horrificness of this place impressed me even when I was intent only on fishing there for bugs and efts.The Journal of a Disappointed Man
Wilhelm Nero Pilate Barbellion
- electronic funds transfer system
- a dialect or archaic name for a newt
- any of certain terrestrial newts, such as Diemictylus viridescens (red eft) of eastern North America
Old English efeta
Old English; see aft, after
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for efts
Old English efte, efeta "small lizard-like animal," of unknown origin (see newt).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper