- having or regarding the self or the individual as the center of all things: an egocentric philosophy that ignores social causes.
- having little or no regard for interests, beliefs, or attitudes other than one's own; self-centered: an egocentric person; egocentric demands upon the time and patience of others.
- an egocentric person.
Origin of egocentric
Synonyms for egocentric
Antonyms for egocentric
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ego-centrism
Historical Examples of ego-centrism
Was there any knowledge accompanying this colossal conceit—this ego-centrism of his?I Walked in Arden
- regarding everything only in relation to oneself; self-centred; selfish
- philosophy pertaining to a theory in which everything is considered in relation to the selfan egocentric universe
- a self-centred person; egotist
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Marked by extreme concentration of attention upon oneself; self-centered.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Preoccupied with one's own concerns.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.