- Also called negatron. Physics, Chemistry. an elementary particle that is a fundamental constituent of matter, having a negative charge of 1.602 × 10−19 coulombs, a mass of 9.108 × 10−31 kilograms, and spin of ½, and existing independently or as the component outside the nucleus of an atom.
- Electricity. a unit of charge equal to the charge on one electron.
Origin of electron
Related Words for electronheat, service, tension, light, current, juice, spark, galvanism, AC, DC, utilities, electron, voltage, ignition
Examples from the Web for electron
Contemporary Examples of electron
You have the atom, which has the neutron, the electron, the proton.‘Crazy’ Harlem Pastor Hates on Obama and Gays
September 28, 2014
But with an electron micgrograph to illustrate what was fueling the outbreak, they were able to gain the trust of the people.1976 Vs. Today: Ebola’s Terrifying Evolution
September 10, 2014
Back in 1897, British physicist J.J. Thomson discovered the electron, which, as of then, was the biggest finding of all time.
No one imagined in 1897 what the electron would do, or how it would change humanity.
Is there a particular reason why an electron weighs as much as it does, or that gravity is as strong as it is?Welcome to the Multiverse!
February 11, 2011
Historical Examples of electron
Almost four months, according to the passage of time on the electron.
The rumblings of the electron had increased with each passing week.
But natural matter does have a tendency to let the electron fall into the proton.Invaders from the Infinite
John Wood Campbell
The same thing goes for a proton or electron or neutron or even a neutrino.By Proxy
Gordon Randall Garrett
Yet—the proton is positive and attracts the electron's negative charge.The Last Evolution
John Wood Campbell
- a stable elementary particle present in all atoms, orbiting the nucleus in numbers equal to the atomic number of the element in the neutral atom; a lepton with a negative charge of 1.602 176 462 × 10 –19 coulomb, a rest mass of 9.109 381 88 × 10 –31 kilogram, a radius of 2.817 940 285 × 10 –15 metre, and a spin of 1/2
Word Origin for electron
- A stable subatomic particle in the lepton family having a rest mass of 9.1066 X 10-28 gram and a unit negative electric charge of approximately 1.602 X 10-19 coulomb.negatron
- A stable elementary particle in the lepton family having a mass at rest of 9.107 X 10-28 grams and a negative electric charge of approximately 1.602 X 10-19 coulombs. Electrons orbit about the positively charged nuclei of atoms in distinct orbitals of different energy levels, called shells. Electrons are the primary charge carriers in electric current. Compare positron. See also electromagnetism elementary particle ion. See Table at subatomic particle.
- A positron or a negatron.