- an ancient country in W Greece, in the Peloponnesus: site of the ancient Olympic Games.
- the capital of this country.
- a Hebrew judge and priest. I Sam. 1–4.
- Also El·ie [el-ee] /ˈɛl i/. a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “height.”
Examples from the Web for elis
Historical Examples of elis
The best of his works is the Olympian Zeus, made at Elis after his exile.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
It should be mentioned that the city of Elis had previously been in a state of disruption.
The Arcadians were presently engaged on another campaign against Elis.
The above scanty details comprise all that is known of Elis Wyn.
With all these the Visions of Elis Wyn have more or less connection.
- an ancient city-state of SW Greece, in the NW Peloponnese: site of the ancient Olympic games
- Old Testament the highest priest at Shiloh and teacher of Samuel (I Samuel 1–3)
masc. proper name, in Old Testament, the name of a high priest of Israel, teacher of Samuel, from Hebrew, literally "high."