- to arrange in order of battle; prepare for battle; arm.
- to fortify (a town, camp, etc.).
Origin of embattle1
- to furnish with battlements.
Origin of embattle2
Related Words for embattlemilitarize, supply, strengthen, fortify, equip, mobilize, array, arm, furnish
Examples from the Web for embattle
Historical Examples of embattle
The officers had been unable to make them embattle the walls.History of the Commune of 1871
And Douglas found the forces that were to embattle him drawing up in line.Children of the Market Place
Edgar Lee Masters
Against her Napoleon now prepared to embattle the might of his vast Empire.The Life of Napoleon I (Volumes, 1 and 2)
John Holland Rose
- to deploy (troops) for battle
- to strengthen or fortify (a position, town, etc)
- to provide (a building) with battlements