- to raise or represent (surface designs) in relief.
- to decorate (a surface) with raised ornament.
- Metalworking. to raise a design on (a blank) with dies of similar pattern, one the negative of the other.Compare coin(def 10).
- to cause to bulge out; make protuberant.
Origin of emboss
Examples from the Web for embossing
Historical Examples of embossing
Vail, as we have seen, also invented the plan of embossing the message.Heroes of the Telegraph
Again, both values are known with the embossing doubly impressed.Gambia
Frederick John Melville
The two classes with which I was brought into contact were the book-keeping and embossing.Mystic London:
Charles Maurice Davies
Their knowledge of embossing gold and silver was considerable.A Manual of the Historical Development of Art
G. G. (Gustavus George) Zerffi
Uninked blocks were used for embossing portions of the designs.Chats on Japanese Prints
Arthur Davison Ficke
- to mould or carve (a decoration or design) on (a surface) so that it is raised above the surface in low relief
- to cause to bulge; make protrude