- inflammation of the substance of the brain.
- Also called encephali·tis le·thar·gi·ca [li-thahr-ji-kuh] /lɪˈθɑr dʒɪ kə/. a form of this condition, caused by a filterable virus and characterized by apathy and abnormal sleepiness; sleeping sickness.
Origin of encephalitis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pathol a technical name for sleeping sickness (def. 2)
- inflammation of the brain
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for encephalitis lethargica
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A viral epidemic encephalitis characterized by apathy, paralysis of an eye muscle, and extreme muscular weakness.sleeping sickness von Economo's disease
- Inflammation of the brain.cephalitis
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Inflammation of the brain, usually caused by infection with a virus.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.