- a comparative level of capacity for vigorous activity: The child has a high energy level.
- Also called energy state. Physics. one of a quantized series of states in which matter may exist, each having constant energy and separated from others in the series by finite quantities of energy.
Origin of energy level
First recorded in 1905–10
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a constant value of energy in the distribution of energies among a number of atomic particles
- the energy of a quantum state of a system. The terms energy level and energy state are often used loosely to mean quantum state . This is avoided in precise communication
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- One of a set of states of a physical system associated with a range of energies. Electrons in an atom, for example, can shift between the different energy levels corresponding to orbitals in different shells. Also called energy state
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.