[ahn-trakt, ahn-trakt; French ahn-trakt]
- the interval between two consecutive acts of a theatrical or operatic performance.
- a performance, as of music or dancing, given during such an interval.
- a piece of music or the like for such performance.
Origin of entr'acte
1740–50; < French, equivalent to entre between (< Latin inter) + acte act
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an interval between two acts of a play or opera
- (esp formerly) an entertainment during an interval, such as dancing between acts of an opera
C19: French, literally: between-act